I want to be an automotive technician, and I'm a
- After-School Activities
- Sign up for after-school activities focusing on technology, computer diagnostics, cars or hands-on learning
- Class Selection
- Focus on getting good grades in math and reading, and choose electives such as computer science or shop class
- Dealership Shadowing
- Many dealerships will allow middle school students to shadow technicians for a day—reach out to your local dealers!
- For-Profit School
- Earn your certification as an automotive technician quickly - it typically takes around a year to complete! Start your career quicker and boost your earnings earlier.
- Manufacturer Programs
- Start earning your while you’re still in high school. Work in a brand-specific program and make money right after graduation!
- Community Colleges
- Complete your degree in two years for a lower cost. Earn money faster than your peers and gain job experience sooner.
Learn what’s out there
For Parents & Counselors
You can support your student—we've collected the resources to help.View Resources
Jump in today—understand what you can do to start moving toward your future!View Resources
Drive your future
Prepare for the journey ahead—test the career today.Find a Program